The hydraulic intensifier is used to increase the intensity of pressure of water by means of hydraulic energy available from large amount of water at low pressure is called hydraulic intensifier. In most of the hydraulic machinery used, the usual pressure of 80 to 100-psi may not be sufficient to operate certain spool valves and other mechanisms.
To cater to the need for a high-pressure requirement for a comparatively short period of time, pumps and accessories are definitely not the solution. But the substitute can be hydraulic intensifiers which can increase the pressure from 100 psi to 40,000 psi, using small volumes of fluid. There are different types based on the medium of hydraulic fluids used and the number of strokes used to intensify to the desired pressure. They are single-stroke, differential cylinder intensifiers, oil-oil intensifiers, air-air intensifiers, and oil-air intensifiers. Recent developments are so vast that huge pressures are achieved by using combinations of the above types.
A hydraulic intensifier is very simple in construction; it has only three main parts, these parts are attached in a proper sequence for increasing the pressure of input fluid. These three main parts are fixed ram, sliding cylinder or ram and a fixed cylinder.
Working of Hydraulic Intensifier :
As discussed above hydraulic intensifier is used to increase the intensity of fluid pressure. Its working based upon the fluid movement in it. The liquid from low pressure comes in and at high pressure goes out to the machine or outlet. In the starting movement the sliding cylinder is at its rest position i.e. at bottom most position. Now the liquid of low pressure comes into the fixed cylinder through valve ‘D’ and fill it properly.
Now the valve C, B and D are closed. The only valve ‘A’ is opened which permits the low pressure liquid into the sliding cylinder or ram. After that the valve ‘C’ is opened which permits the low pressure liquid from the fixed cylinder to be discharged to exhaust. When the low pressure comes out from the fixed cylinder then the sliding cylinder starts moving upwards due to the supply from valve ‘A’. When the sliding cylinder reaches the topmost position then this sliding cylinder is filled with low pressure liquid.
The valves ‘A’ and ‘C’ are closed when the sliding cylinder completely filled with low pressure liquid. Now the valves ‘B’ and ‘D’ are opened, the low pressure liquid from the supply i.e. through valve ‘D’ enters into the fixed cylinder which pushes the sliding cylinder to move downwards which results high pressure liquid is produced in the sliding cylinder. This high pressure liquid is supplied to the required output or to the some hydraulic machinery. High pressure liquid is comes out from the valve ‘B’. This cycle is repeated continuously and low pressure liquid comes out with high pressure intensity.
Intensity of low pressure water = p
External area of sliding cylinder = A
Area of end of Fixed Ram = a
Ram Intensity of high pressure water in sliding cylinder = p*
In downward direction at low pressure
F = p x A
At high pressure in upward direction
F = p* x a
Intensity of Ram at high pressure ,
P x A = p* x a
p* = (P x A) / a
- Water powered intensifier is a smaller gadget and simple to work and control.
- It tends to be straightforwardly joined with the water driven apparatus, any place it is required.
- It is smaller and also vitality sparing gadget.
- It is less expensive gadget in the event that we looks about its working, it spare part of cash by their simple and practical activity. We can state that it is straightforward in working, sheltered and sparing in tasks.
- It has rapid activity because of this it very well may be effectively begins and stop according to our necessities.
- It can without much of a stretch works with the siphon, that is the reason it might be appended in the middle of the siphon and the pressure driven apparatus.
- It is anything but difficult to work and control.
- It gives consistent power and weight in entire working procedure.
- The primary weakness of the pressure driven intensifier is same which for the most part happens if there should arise an occurrence of the all other water driven frameworks i.e. spillage of the liquid.
- In some cases the pressure driven liquid utilized is might be destructive which harm the out hardware.
- The other primary weakness is of spillage liquid can burst into flames so the working ought to be done in legitimate way and endeavor to maintain a strategic distance from the any little spillage of the liquids.
- This framework requires high support.
- This is about water driven intensifier.